How Long Does a Smile Makeover Take?
June 1, 2022 fakt_md_aDmEeN
What Is a Smile Makeover?
It is a treatment in cosmetic dentistry in Manalapan that transforms a smile by improving the appearance of various features of the oral cavity. A smile makeover can entail one cosmetic procedure or multiple. It depends on the number of dental problems a patient has. Although a smile makeover is a treatment in cosmetic dentistry, it comprises both elective cosmetic and essential restorative dental procedures. The procedures can target your teeth only or also your gums. The only difference with other dental protocols is that smile makeovers prioritize the appearance of a smile.
Restorative and Cosmetic Procedures in Smile Makeovers
If you are interested in a smile makeover, at least have a rough idea of what to anticipate relative to your dental expectations. The common procedures for smile makeovers are:
- Teeth whitening – is a procedure for removing stains, yellowing, and general discoloration on teeth. Teeth whitening can be done in different ways, including directly bleaching teeth’ enamels, composite bonding, or dental veneers.
- Teeth straightening – comprises dental procedures that can impact the positioning of teeth in the jawbone. Depending on the complexity of your malalignment, a dentist can employ teeth aligners or use alternative treatments. Invisalign braces are the perfect orthodontic teeth aligners for straightening crooked teeth in cosmetic dentistry. Since they feature transparent plastic material, they are virtually invisible. This feature makes them useful for cosmetic modifications of your smile since they are mindful of your aesthetic appearance. If you do not want to wear teeth aligners, your dentist can improve the spacing of teeth in your mouth using dental veneers or composite bonding.
- Teeth replacement – replacing lost teeth is a big part of smile transformation. Your dentist can use various oral appliances to replace your missing teeth, including dentures, dental bridges, and tooth implants. Tooth implants are the better alternative for replacing teeth permanently while restoring the jawbone tissue and increasing support for your facial muscles.
- Dental contouring – entail dental procedures for reshaping teeth. Dental contouring can change the size and shape of teeth. The procedure can also repair slight crookedness, chipped, cracked, or broken teeth. Dental contouring mainly engages dental veneers, crowns, or composite bonding. Dental crowns are more reliable for reinforcing the strength of teeth’ enamels, especially if they have undergone sizeable structural damage.
- Gum contouring – is perhaps the most invasive dental procedure in cosmetic dentistry. It entails a surgical process for lowering or heightening the gum line. The goal is to improve the support of the gum tissue to your natural teeth while overcoming a gummy smile and receded gums.
How Long Does a Smile Makeover Take?
A smile makeover will take as long as necessary to complete the number of cosmetic procedures in your treatment plan. The more procedures you need, the longer your treatment may last. For some patients, smile modification may last about 45 minutes to an hour because they only need composite bonding. However, other patients need multiple dental visits to complete the complex procedures.
How to Speed Up a Smile Makeover
One thing a Manalapan dentist will tell you is that you can have a customized treatment plan to suit your needs and preferences. If you fear that your smile makeover may take a long time to complete, consider the following factors:
- Opt for a versatile oral restoration – if you get dental veneers, for example, it can correct various dental problems simultaneously. Therefore, if you want to whiten your teeth while closing small gaps between them, dental veneers on your front teeth can get the job done in one installation.
- Consider sedation dentistry – even though you may be undergoing a painless procedure, you should be open to sedation before your treatment. Sedation dentistry not only calms your nerves, but it can help you remain relaxed so you do not get too caught up in how much time you spend in the dentist’s chair.
- Be specific with your dental expectations – when you visit us at FaktorDMD – Manalapan, NJ, make an elaborate list of your dental expectations concerning the aesthetics of your smile. It will allow your attending dentist to develop a thorough treatment plan for your smile makeover.